Monday, October 29, 2007

What we do for Halloween

Last year I hosted a "Fear Not Party" on Halloween night for my youngest and a bunch of his friends. It was a great success, and we would have had another this year, except that Halloween falls on Wednesday. Here in the Bible Belt, that is church night, and most of the kids who would have come for the party have church activities that night. Our own church is having a carnival this year, instead of the usual week-long dramatic presentation called "AnchorSoul" that has been our church's tradition for about 8 years. So we are going to the carnival, and will maybe have another Fear Not Party next year. We will carve our pumpkins tomorrow, and work on putting together a fun costume to wear on Wednesday. There are no other children living in our neighborhood, except for one girl next door who we rarely see, so I don't normally get anyone coming to my door on Halloween. I do have a bag or two of candy in reserve, just in case. I'll turn on the lights and string some white lights on the front porch and put out the friendly pumpkins and mums. No scary spooky creepy things here.
"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."
Joshua 1:9

No comments: