Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Living Safely Versus Living Boldly

Yesterday morning, as I was reading Day 1 of a new 30-day devotional called "Seeds of Change" from Show Hope, I was convicted of something. Every night, as I say bedtime prayers with Jason, I pray for the health & safety of my family, as we are scattered in various places - at college, in the Army, at work, driving around town, playing sports, just hanging around at home, etc. I'm a mom. I worry about my kids or husband getting sick, about accidents, about bad people, about natural disasters, about war. I want us all to be happy and healthy and whole, all the days of our lives! But here was this short little devotion talking about "An Invitation to Adventure".

"We were created for adventure. The evidence is there in our movies, our stories, and even our lives, as the constant battle is waged between striving to remain safe versus bravely stepping out to live the full life that God offers."

hmmmm....

Stepping out in faith.
Getting out of the boat.
Living life to the fullest.

Not necessarily safe. But if I want to live a life that has purpose and glorifies God, helping the hurting, caring for orphans and widows, discipling my children, making a difference.... then I have to be willing to step out of my comfort zone and sometimes take risks. And if I want my children to live that way as well, then what should my prayer be?

"There is nothing safe about God's invitation. All adventures carry with them some level of excitement and hazard, and we cannot remain safe and comfortable and still go on a God-sized adventure. But God doesn't call us to be safe, He call us to be bold and courageous [Joshua 1:9], and we can trust that even our safety will be taken care of by the One who invites us to bravely step out in faith. As C.S. Lewis says in the Chronicles of Narnia when speaking of Aslan, 'Of course He isn't safe, but He is good.' "

We can choose what is easy, what is comfortable, what is safe. But at what expense? How much of the abundant life that God wants for us do we miss out on?

I don't think I can stop praying for health and safety, BUT... I think I'll be adding a prayer for boldness and willingness to be God's hands and feet...for courage to take that step of faith in obedience, even when it doesn't make sense...for lives that make a difference in the world and most importantly, in God's Kingdom.


1 comment:

Eileen and Jerry Mestas said...

This is excellent!! I agree 100%. Steppin out of the boat is scarey but oh, so exciting when you know that God is holding you up! You are so precious to me my sweet sister! I know God is at work in your heart and life. I am so blessed to be a part of it and to have you in my life. This is so exciting.... can't wait to see what is coming down the pike??Love you to pieces....In His Timing & Care,