Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Minor Injury

Well, I drove Alex to work this morning, came home and spent an hour on the computer reading email and blogs, and then got started on my bedroom. I filled 2 bags with trash ( so far ) - papers, broken knick knacks, holey socks, etc. etc. -
and cleared out one corner of the room, pulled out dressers from the wall and vaccuumed BEHIND them ( true confession - I wore a dust mask! ) I had planned to spend all afternoon in there, but.......
The phone rang and it was Page, the nurse at summer camp.
"I'm sorry to interrupt your plans for the afternoon, but it looks like Eric has dislocated his finger!"
Eric is my 17-year-old, who is working at camp as a counselor-in-training ( CIT)
He was playing tetherball with another counselor after lunch, and slammed his finger into the other boy's palm. The joint of his left index finger dislocated, looking quite crooked and ugly when I got there to pick him and take him to the doctor. We were quickly sent on to an orthopedist, who X-rayed the finger and determined that nothing was cracked or broken. He then injected numbing medicine into the hand and proceeded to wrestle the joint back into place! AGH.... not something for the squeamish to sit and watch. It popped back into place after what seemed like an hour but was probably 30 seconds. A splint and prescription for pain medicine, and we were on our way back to camp, where Eric was playing dodge ball with his charges in the gym a couple of hours later!
The splint can come off at the end of the week, and he should be good as new! The doctor did suggest protecting that finger with the splint for any future tetherball games or anything similar this summer.

<><

1 comment:

Eileen and Jerry Mestas said...

Hey Sister,

I finally got to your blog. I love it. I just don't know how you find time everyday to write. I do love the fact that it can really journal your life for the family records. Like the book I want to write. Anyway, I am proud of you for attacking your room. I am definately planning on helping you. How about you just clean it out this week and then next week when I have help, we can paint it? Just get rid of everything!!!! Throw away the stuff that is definately trash, everything else can go to the garage for a season. Get some clear tubs and clear xlg trash bags and put all the scrapbook stuff, and papers to be sorted through later in the tubs. Once your room is beautiful, you can go to your sanctuary and go thru a tub at a time. WE CAN DO IT!! This is our Summer project. Lets maybe do your kitchen next, you told me you wanted to remove wallpaper and paint your cabinets right? Lets make this our summer school project. I am soooooooo excited and I can already see it in my mind. It's beautiful!!! OH, sorry to hear about Eric but glad he is ok. I went to visit tonight and I gave Jason a really big hug. He told me you were there today so he felt ok. He is so precious. I also hugged your girls but didn't see Eric. I LOVE YOU SISTA! OH, weight watchers mtg is Thursday at 10 am. Are you coming?? See ya lata!!