Sunday, May 15, 2016

Homeschool Prom, Take 7

The 7th annual Carolina Capital Homeschool Prom took place a week ago, with 350 homeschooled teens and guests, and it literally took me 3 days to recover.  I started this prom seven years ago with my then-16-year-old daughter and a few friends, and have been chairman ever since.  This year my 17-yr-old son attended as a homeschool junior, my 28-yr-old and 22-yr-old daughters were prom photographers, and my husband and I were chaperones, as well as part of the set-up/clean-up committees.  It is a family affair.

Our theme this year was "INVINCIBLE",  inspired by superheroes.  Although it got the most committee votes for 2016 theme, there were several doubters who couldn't envision a "Superhero" prom being elegant and not cheesy birthday party-ish.  I think they were convinced.  My core team of decorator/planners had a vision of an urban "corporate gala" atmosphere, lots of black and white with pops of color, focusing on the inspirational "hero" aspect of the superheroes, not the villains or the darkness sometimes associated with them.

Every year we choose a Benefit Project, and this year, in keeping with the theme, we chose a charity that benefits the families of fallen first responders, Carolina Brotherhood.   We donated $2 from every ticket sold, plus some additional donations that were brought to Prom, for a total of $850.

















No comments: