Rich Chocolate Cupcakes
based on Martha Stewart's Devil's Food recipe
3/4 c. Hershey's Special Dark unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. instant coffee
3/4 c. boiling water
3 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup ( 2 sticks) butter, melted
1/2 c. vegetable oil
2 1/4 c. sugar
4 lg. eggs, room temperature
4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 c. sour cream, room temperature
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
2. Whisk together cocoa, coffee, and boiling water until smooth. Set aside.
3. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
4. Place melted butter, oil, and sugar in mixing bowl. With electric mixer on medium speed, beat until mixture is cooled, about 5 minutes.
5. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
6. Add vanilla and cocoa mixture, and beat until combined.
7. With mixer on low speed, add half the flour mixture and mix until combined. Then add half the sour cream, mixing until combined. Scrape down sides of bowl, and repeat with the remaining flour and sour cream.
8. Divide batter between the 24 lined cups. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, until a toothpick inserted in center of cupcakes comes out clean - about 20 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove cupcakes and place on wire racks and cool completely.
Tomorrow we head to Greensboro for the state homeschool basketball tournament - Amanda's final time, since she's a senior. :-( Jason's middle school team got knocked out in the regional tourney last weekend, so he gets to be a spectator this weekend. Amanda's varsity girls team is undefeated this season, and is hoping to continue that streak through this weekend and claim the state championship. Here's hoping! It still isn't all over, though, until after "Liberty" in mid-March! "Liberty" is the HSPN East Coast Homeschool Basketball Championships, an open tournament for homeschool teams from all over the eastern US, held at Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA.
Amanda was chosen to the All-Conference All Star Team!
Jason won an All-Tournament Award for his great play during the tournament