Saturday, January 9, 2010

New Endeavors for the New Year

With the start of the new year, I've added a couple of new endeavors to my weekly schedule.

First, Grandma's Christmas gift went to good use as we joined the YMCA right after Christmas. This has been something we've wanted to do for a long time, but never had the extra cash for. My older boys who worked there as lifeguards got automatic memberships as employees, and the rest of us were jealous. But with my 50th birthday looming this year, I am feeling the urgency of getting back in shape more than ever. So I am carving out time in the mornings to go to the gym for an hour and walk on the treadmill or work on the weight machines. Amanda has been going to practice basketball and workout in the gym as well, and we'll probably try to swim on the weekends. Jason goes this morning for his "middle school orientation" so he'll be able to use the equipment and play in the gym without me. We opted to join as one adult and dependents ( me and the kids ) instead of the Family membership which would have included Mark, because the cost was a lot more for the second. But Mark has access to a full health club at work that he doesn't use, but could if he wanted to.

Second, I am teaching 2 art classes here at my house starting this week. I was an art major in college once upon a time, but my kids rarely get art unless I put a formal class together. So I have a couple of 10-13 yr old boys coming on Mondays after lunch, and a few high school girls on Wednesday afternoons. I've got most of the planning done for those classes, but have to go out and buy some materials this weekend, and order some paper from Miller Pads & Paper or Dick Blick. Our first projects will be Papier Mache Monsters with the boys, and Introduction to Pastels with the girls. I'll post pictures later in the week.

Third, I decided to start a Geography Club for elementary & middle schoolers in my homeschool support group. The response was so great that we are creating two clubs, one to meet at my house and one at the home of another family, two afternoons a month. The plan is to highlight one continent each month, looking at pictures in books, coloring maps, and sampling traditional food. The kids can bring something for "show & tell" or can do a presentation on some aspect of a country from that continent. This month it is North America. Then we'll break up into small groups and play geography board games and card games and quiz games and puzzles....

This will force me to keep my house clean, as well....

No comments: