Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Coming to Terms with Reality

Cleaning out my pantry / craft closet is causing me to come to terms with the reality that... I don't have little children anymore.  We have graduated from Crayola watercolors and ALEX chunky paintbrushes to Windsor-Newton watercolor tubes and expensive brushes. My kids rarely use crayons anymore ( although my 22 yr old has her own Disney Princess coloring book and box of crayons ) The playdough tools, colored pipecleaners, popsicle sticks, toilet paper tubes, and tempera paint aren't getting much use anymore, so I guess it is time to clear those things out and replace them with the charcoal pencils, pastels, and grown up art supplies that we are using these days.  The matchbox cars and action figures can go up in the attic, to join the wooden train set, Bitty Baby doll, and dress up clothes.   My baby is almost 12 years old. I don't have little children anymore.   



3 comments:

Kimmie said...

don't get rid of the crayons...everyone loves crayons...put them in a new box and you will be amazed how they will be refound!

Have you thought about adoption?

Do you live in a lighthouse?

Kimmie
mama to 8
one homemade and 7 adopted

Beth said...

Oh, don't worry. The crayons are safe. :-)

Nothing gives me greater joy in life than being a mom. I have thought long and deeply about adoption, and prayed long and hard, and my husband has said no. So I have given that desire to the Lord. I do get to love on the adopted children of my friends, and some of my children have a developed a heart for caring for orphans, and I believe they will pursue adoption some day.

And no, I don't live in a lighthouse, LOL. I helped start a homeschool support group 13 years ago called Lighthouse, and have been the President and in other leadership roles ever since. Hence, I'm a Lighthouse Keeper. ;-)

GrammaJelly said...

I'm glad you re-positioned the classics to the attic...all too soon they will come out for grandchildren...I know from experience how touching it is to have new little ones enjoying the toys that their parents played with, and how warm and nostalgic it is for them to know that their parents once played with the same toys.